Aren’t picking out tiny little baby clothes so much fun?! Everything’s so tiny! And itty bitty shoes?! The cutest! I loved getting adorable little onesies at baby showers and imagining my baby wearing them.
But, what I didn’t know was that my baby was going to be very chunky and not fit into most of what I had received at those showers! So, I went on a mission from store to store to find brands and clothing that would fit my baby comfortably!
My big baby boy was wearing 18 to 24-month clothes at only 6 months old! He was probably 28 pounds by 9 months old. When I would go places with him, people would always make comments. How old is he? How much does he weigh? What does his doctor say about him being so big?
My son was off the charts for percentile as far as weight, but our pediatrician was not worried. She said he was healthy!
With my baby being much bigger than his age sized clothing, I had such a hard time finding clothes that would fit him right! Here’s what finally worked for him!
Baby Clothes For A Chunky Baby: Tips, Brands, & Products That Fit!
- I love Carter’s Onesies, they are soft and have cute patterns!
- We had to buy sizes much bigger than his age for them to fit. They fit comfortably even though the onesies were a little long. My sweet boy was chunky and short!
- Attention! MOM HACK: Even with bigger sized onesies, the sleeves might be too tight around the cuffs of the arms on short sleeves or the wrists with long sleeves. Just loosen the seam around the bottom of the sleeves and problem solved! Just stretch it out with your hands!
- All jeans and khakis we tried would not work for my son. Since he had to wear much bigger size clothes for his waist, the length of the pants were all wayyyyy too long. And who wants to pay to get pants hemmed for a growing baby? Not me!
- The only kind of pants he wore were sweatpants. They still look just fine dressed up with a nice shirt and cute little shoes for special occasions. You need this kind that has the stretchy cuffs at the bottom, you can roll them up around the ankles so they won’t hang over your baby’s feet! Just size way up and fold those ankle cuffs up!
Loose Fitting Socks for Thick Ankles
- Now finding socks were by far the most difficult! Most of the socks we found were WAYYY too tight around his ankles. I tried getting bigger socks to fit his ankles but then they were too long on his cute, chubby little feet.
- These socks are all he wore for his first year. Fold them down over baby’s ankles if they come up too high. You may still need to size up, but folding the ankle part down helps the socks not be too floppy!
Drool Bibs that are NOT too Tight!
- Most bibs we had were too tight around his neck and there was no way I wanted ANYTHING snug around his little neck. These bibs worked best out of all the drool bibs we tried, and we tried A LOT.
- The great part about these bibs is that they are large and are also burp cloths! Use them on your shoulder to burp your baby and then snap it around their necks when needed for a bib. It will completely cover their shoulders too!
- After taking my baby from store to store to try on bibs and finding nothing that would fit him, I ordered these on Amazon! And they worked!
- I used Amazon wardrobe to order A LOT of shoes to determine which brand and sizes would work! My son’s foot was so wide that it was hard to find shoes that we could wiggle his foot into!
- We had the same problem that we did with socks. We would try bigger sized shoes but then they would be too long. Then they were just floppy and looked like clown shoes. Haha!
- The winner for us was New Balance Extra Wide shoes! Not too many brands carry toddler and kid shoes that come in WIDE and EXTRA WIDE sizes. Way to go New Balance! They come in several different colors too!
- It also has a velcro strap, so no tying shoelaces!
Now my son is back on the growth charts for his weight!
We’ve also been able to use the same size clothes for over a year! That helps take away some of the sting of not getting to use so many of those cute clothes I got as gifts. He went from wearing 3 to 6 month clothes to 18 months!
Another Mom Tip for Chunky Baby Clothes:
In your excitement for baby, don’t take off all the tags and wash EVERYTHING you get in Dreft right away. I could have returned a ton of clothes and gotten sizes we could have used instead. When I was pregnant I didn’t even think that my baby might never wear certain sized clothes. Well, now I know! ♥
My back always hurt from carrying that little sack of taters around! But of course, I think he is the cutest little chunk I’ve ever seen!
I hope these tips help you in your search for dressing your chunky baby as well!
We moms with Mega-Babies have to stick together! 🙂
Shopping for Chunky Baby Clothes on Amazon:
If you haven’t shopped using Amazon Wardrobe, now is the time. You can order up to 8 eligible items and try them on BEFORE you buy, then only pay for what you want to keep! I mentioned doing this for my son’s shoes when I wasn’t sure what would work for him.
Order shoes, onesies, pants, etc in all different sizes to be sure you are getting the best fit for your baby. The information for Amazon Prime Wardrobe is here.
Check out some of my other blog posts!
And Follow Me on Pinterest♥